lunedì 20 ottobre 2014

A medieval dress: Butterick 4571 review

Hello!
Some weeks ago I got in my inbox a sweet gift the amazing model and costumer Jeanette Cederström Karlsson from Sweden. She sent me some beautiful jewels to modelling with and I immediately thought they would have been great with a costume I was planning to sew. I saw this pattern by Butterick several months ago on Ebay but I wasn't interested in it since I wasn't planning to craft a medieval/fantasy dress with a fitted bodice and sleeves: 


Then I thought I had to try something different from my normal kind of dresses, and so I bought it. The line of the dress is really nice, with a huge square neckline and double sleeves. I felt in love with the white design on the right but since I don't love how pure white looks on me, I bought a sand crushed velvet. I find Butterick patterns richer in illustrations than Simplicity ones, but the instructions are very poor. This dress looks good on tall girls with a nice breast, and I'm not tall or prosperous neither lol! I used a size 10 but the dress fits quite large. I avoided the laced closure on the back but I had to tighten the bodice a lot; on the other hand, the skirt was perfect. The construction of the gown has been quite simple except for the wrong size and the kind of fabric which isn't hard enough to stay fitted around the bust. I had to add a strip of white lace on to hide the generous neckline. Hiding the seam of the waist line has been hard as well: the fabric I used was too soft and continued to fall down so I had to hide it with a belt instead of the wide trim which appears on the pattern cover. 
The skirt is really wide and with a beautiful train. At last, I decorated the neckline and upper arms with a beautiful gold trim.



The dress is wonderful and really rich but...okay...I don't like how it fits me. I have to keep a rigid posture during the whole shooting to avoid wrinkles on the bodice. So bad. 
The belt I'm wearing in these shots is by Armstreet but then I sewn one by my own in white satin. 
I didn't take many photos during the work in progress but I've to admit it looks really good in professional shootings. 

Here you can find the photos taken with the jewellery by Jeanette. The jewels she sent me consist in a crown, a pair of earrings and a choker. 

All photos have been taken and processed by Lele Photography




Don't forget to visit her pages:


Some updates at September-October 2015:

I completely re-sewn the dress. Every part has been unstitched and sewn again. After a whole year of work my skills improved quite a lot and yeah, my creations cannot be compared to the previous ones thanks to my serger. So I serged this costume and I did few alterations for a new fitting since I decided to sell it. This is not my kind of style, my hips are too large to suit this design and so alas, it will be listed on my Etsy shop in a while. 
The bodice has been resized to a bust of 85 cm and I added metal eyelets replacing the old lace lacing. The trim has been stitched again, all by hand, for a perfect finish. The neckline has been raised up so I could avoid the lace strip (I don't have a generous bust so I hate when clothes fall off) and has been trimmed with cotton bias tape.
The trim has been applied to the pointy sleeves - so medieval! 

I love, love, love how it turned out! I recently sewn a similar dress in white for a customer but I'll talk about it in another post ;) 









For orders and commissions: www.etsy.com/shop/ilfiorenero or ilfiorenero@hotmail.com


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...