Ancient Roman stola and veil in cotton gauze

I made this outfit several years ago so consider it a restyle. I was sure to have talked about this project on the blog after wearing the dress for the first time but I was wrong... The post is missing so this means I didn't write a thing. 
If you followed me for a while you probably understood Ancient Roman fashion is one of my favourites styles; it's simple to make, cheap and very comfy to wear since it's made just of rectangles or geometric shapes fitted to the body with belts. Sounds easy, uh? 

After making and selling a couple of dresses I decided to keep the green cotton tunic I wore at Natale di Roma in 2016 for me. I always disliked how the apple green/yellow palla looked on me so I discarded and reused it for other projects (mainly linings and know what? It works perfectly as support for Victorian bodices!), buying some crinkle cotton to make a stola. 
What is a stola? Today we use this therm to indicate a shawl but in Roman times, a stola was an outer garment worn by married women. It's basically a tunic sewn at sides pinned at shoulders with brooches, forming a tube that falls in lovely folds around the bust. It doesn't have sleeves because they form automatically when pinning the edges of the neckline above on the shoulders. 
The stola can be made in a great range of fabrics, from silks to linen, and colours. 
Mine is brown, the only colour I could pair easily with green. It's shaped to the body just with a cotton tape that works as a belt; the stola is a couple of cm longer than my height to allow draping at waist.






The brooches are a reproduction I got from Celtic Web Merchant and work really good. The stola, as the tunic, is machine sewn inside but hand finished outside. I completed the look with a crinkle cotton veil instead of a full palla, which would have made the outfit too heavy to wear in the summer heat. 

This complete outfit, or just the stola, can be ordered on Etsy according to your measures and personal tastes!

Full outfit:

Stola only: 

Commenti

Post più popolari