1770s red cotton jacket and skirt for Fulda, Germany

An outfit made some months ago for an important event in Eichenzell, Fulda, Germany! Me and my group Le vie del tempo attended the famous "Zeitreise ins 18. Jahrundert" last August and I needed a new outfit for the occasion. I didn't want an elegant dress since we had to move around the camp (a partial mistake, many ladies had elegant and luscious silk dresses!) so I decided to make a skirt and a simple jacket.


I had some yards of red cotton in my stash which were enough to make skirt and jacket (approx 3 mt in total). The yardage for the jacket was less but I managed to cut out the pieces easily. The jacket is lined in cotton, skirts included, is  not boned and closes at front with cotton lacing. The stomacher is pinned to the stays as usual.As you can see in the following photos, the jacket as no waist seam. 

 







Since we had to live at the camp for three days, I also made an apron to protect my skirt from dust, ashes and grass. So glad I did it! The apron was partially stained the second morning by my foundation...nothing a little bit of bleach cannot remove but imagine if this stain was on the skirt! Eeek! The fabric is lightweight white cotton also from stash and with a cotton tape in the upper edge.


Detail of stitching

The skirt is made in the accurate 18th century way, using two rectangles of fabric shaped at the waist measuring over hips pads at the back and folding the excess inwards at front. Of course it has slits at sides to reach my hanging pockets. It is pleated at front and back.




The whole thing took just a couple of days to make! Unfortunately I didn't manage to make a linen jacket for the cooler weather in the evening (time is always against me) but I'm pretty much happy with this one. It was really hepful with the very hot weather we had over there in Germany (more than 30°!)
I wanted to add some cotton sleeve tuckers to make it richer but I decided to leave it as it is - sometimes less is better.  Now I just have to add a pair of mittens and a better hat to complete my new colonial outfit. 

Commenti

Post più popolari