WW1 skirt and blouse (Wearing History patterns review)

So, a long time has passed since my latest post. The Covid lockdown changed many things and I was not in the mood for blogging and talking about costumes. But here we are again! I did a couple of projects during the lockdown, including a WW1 outfit that was on my to-do list from some months. Being a huge fan of 1910s fashion as you may know, I definitely had to try late Edwardian styles. It's not a popular period, especially here in Europe, so when I came across Wearing History patterns I decided I had to try it. Clothes of the period changed dramatically if compared to pre-ww1 years and skirts became shorter and larger to allow more movement since women became more active and started to work outside the house. The blouses lost more of the their frills ending in very practical garments we can still wear today. 



I started with the blouse which came together very quickly and easily. The cuffs have a lovely point which is optional if you aim a modern look. It has a drawstring at the waist for ease of wear and fitting but you can also switch to a fixed waistband. The original pattern followed the symbols and the instructions of the original one, released in 1910s; I never used antique patterns before but once you have sewing basics, you can easily do it (also Lauren has some lovely how-to videos on her YT channel where she explains how to put the blouse together).
I used white cotton from stash and mother-of-pearl buttons as fastening with machine sewn buttonholes. Collar and lapels have topstitching. The fit of the blouse was incredibly perfect and only the cuffs required some alterations but it's because I have small wrists and every commercial pattern fits large. 

The skirt is included in a huge pattern that allows you to make a full walking suit with a jacket for colder weather. I didn't' made the jacket yet but I plan to make it this fall. I used some purple cotton from stash to make the skirt and the same buttons of the blouse. Buttons are just decorative: the skirt opens and closes at front with a series of snaps since I was out of thread (lockdown, remember?) and could not purchase it. This was the easiest part of the project. It's made just of two pieces with optional external belt and you can choose two different lengths: the longer works for early Edwardian era, the shorter for WW1. Being just 160cm tall the shorter length fits a tad longer than I expected but it's ok since it hits my ankles. As you can see the skirt is pretty much high waisted and this requires a carefully fitting if you don't want your skirt to move or fall down when wearing it. There's a inner belt to stabilize it. 
The skirt also needs a little bit of support so consider in making a short petticoat with a ruffle as I did. 


I completed the look with a new antique silk parasol dating to 1917 (it has a looong handle and it's huuuuge when fully open) and a proper small hat made using some black cotton and feathers from stash. I'm very happy with this new outfit and I can't wait to wear it properly with a pair of Suffragettes earrings I just ordered. 
I forgot to add the whole outfit is worn over chemise and proper underwear but it would look absolutely lovely with modern undies! 

Commenti

Post più popolari