Roman dress "Gaia"

Hello guys, the end of the month is near and I'm passing these cold winter days sewing a new roman dress.
I found at the local market a beautiful remnant of deep green fabric in synthetic fibres (I think it's polyester) large enough for a dress, and so I bought it with another camouflage fabric. To be honest I wasn't thinking to another roman dress but when I saw the fabric I couldn't resist!

Roman Dress "Gaia" photo DSCF0281_zpsb07b4c26.png
The fabric
To sew this dress you'll need: 
- Fabric 
- Thread 
- Scissor
- A sewing machine, but you can avoid it if you want a more historical look. 

The fabric is soft as silk and the green is simply luscious! I didn't use a pattern so I put the fabric on the floor and I drew by hand the figure of shoulders with a chalk, after measuring my own shoulders. I have a one shoulder tunic already but for this one I wanted something different: I took my inspiration from the Spartacus TV series and I found in the character of  Gaia a nice reference: her dress has a deep V neckline and it's made of light green silk with golden embroidery, and the shape of the cloth seems quite historical.

Gaia
My dress will look like this on the shoulders but the neckline will be less evident and I'll wear a blue tunic as underwear since my fabric is quite see-through. 

The construction of the dress is really simple, so if you're a beginner seamstress like me you won't find it hard. So, after drawing the straps with the chalk I started sewing the hems by hand, finishing them with the sewing machine later for a better look. Then I sewed both sides together and put it on: I'm used to sew clothes a little bit bigger than my real size so I'll have to adjust the dress on my hips in a second moment. 

 photo DSCF0283_zps46531324.png
Particular of the seam
To decorate the shoulders I applied by hand two silver buttons with Medusa's effigy (I'm in love with them!)

Roman Dress "Gaia" photo DSCF0291_zps67d03a09.png
The buttons. 
Keep in mind: don't throw away scraps! You can always use them as ribbons or as decorations for your hair if they're big enough :) I'll use mine for the typical roman hairstyle I use during historical fairs. 
I noticed the dresses displayed in Spartacus have many layers of different fabrics but I find this style more fantasy than roman, even if women from upper classes wore dresses made of rich materials and with vivid colours. I hand stitched a hair comb to keep the veil on my head (don't forget this step if you don't want to lose it when you move, my suggestion is to make a braid and then put the hair comb there - a fake braid is good too). 

Total amount: less than 10€, if you're lucky it's a very low budget project!  

Photo by Franco Russo



Commenti

Post più popolari