A medieval-fantasy gown: Eowyn

Do you remember the green and gold velvet gown worn by Eowyn in "The Two Towers"? The movie came out in 2002 and since then I've been a huge fan of that dress. It looks soooo medieval, with the long hanging sleeves and the beautiful gold details...a dream! I never had enough budget to buy a replica of the costume so - ta-dah! - I bought a commercial pattern to sew my own version. The pattern still lays in its envelope due to lack of time but I managed to sew a very personal version of the costume with matching colours but a different design. 



For this costume I used a beautiful emerald green crushed velvet as main fabric and gold satin for the contrasting panel and the lining of hood and sleeves. I'm not a fan of poly satin 'cause it frays a lot and it's looks really cheap but you know - budget is budget. To my customers I recommend to choose taffeta, which has a richer texture than satin and looks less fancy.
The dress design is a classic: a medieval-fantasy dress with hood and square neckline, with front and back lacing. Nothing new but this is the kind of dresses which fits me at best and I love to make. 
The lacing is made of fabric eyelets and satin ribbon. To hide the arm seam I hand sewn a piece of gold trim. 






The dress is really comfortable and the lacing allows a perfect fitting. I enjoyed a lot these photos in the woods - the beautiful necklace I'm wearing is by Aeternum Nocturne Jewellery
The hood is wide and covers the head like a glove, falling on the shoulders when not worn. The satin lining falls nicely on the skin and I love how it turns on the outside when the arms are left in a lower position. The crushed velvet is so bright and follows the curves of the body, a blessing for ladies who have large hips like me. 

Some professional photos:



This costume is listed on my Etsy shop and can be ordered in different sizes and colours. Feel free to leave a comment if you have questions about! 



Commenti

Post più popolari