1790s dress plans: some inspirations!

Spring is approaching fast, so do the Directoire events my group (Le vie del Tempo) has confirmed! I literally can't wait because the last decade of 18th century has always been my favourite. I'm planning several outfits (there will be numerous events throughout the spring and summer) so I need at least a dress and a jacket. Instagram fellows probably already read I'm going to reproduce the stripey jacket from Kyoto Costume Institute but we'll talk about this project in a second moment (I'm still waiting for the fabric to come); for the moment, I'm planning to make a simple, fresh, easy to make gaulle or round gown. 
I fell in love with the dress displayed in the danish museum and download the pattern they provide months ago. I studied it a little (knowing German has been extremely helpful in translation the pattern directions since they're in danish!) and guess what? It has almost my exact measurements! Squee! This means I only have to do a toile, minor alterations and I will be done. I'd like to use my Ikea curtain fabric for this project but I'm not sure, since white plain cotton would work fine too. I'll make this dress for sure, obviously in white, but for the moment I need to think about that properly. A beautiful open gown would match this dress - maybe in blue. 

I'm pretty sure you already saw this beauty! 

The second option would be a robe en chemise, so a late chemise à la reine. I looked at a few portraits of the period and I faced out how to draft the pattern but I cannot get decided about the colour. White or lavender? My boyfriend suggests lavender and I think he's right, I can't make a bunch of white dresses but they're so cute!! 

An example of gaulle dress:
M.me Seriziat by Jacques Louis David, 1795

The beauty of late chemises dresses is they represent a nice example of transitional dresses. They still have the fitted, curved sleeves of 18th century but the front of the dress screams Regency. They look so elegant, so delicate and extremely feminine and I love to be feminine with my costumes! Robes en chemises had a very fitted back as well, as shown in "The Duchess" (2008): look the gathered front, probably closed with a button just above the neckline. Other examples are from "Marie Antoinette" (2006).
As usual, American Duchess did a great costume analysis here: http://blog.americanduchess.com/2010/12/costume-analytics-emilie-seriziats.html

The Duchess


Marie Antoinette

And that's all for now! Do you have any suggestions? I'd like to hear your opinion!
Oh, I forgot! Thank you sooo much for the more than 100.000 views on the blog!! It means a lot to me! 




Commenti

Post più popolari